Sunday, August 7, 2016

[When] Love Broke Through // I'm Getting Baptized!!

I grew up in a Christian family, but it wasn't until I was twelve years old that I decided to take the decision into my own hands and ask God--on my own--to come into my life. It was the best decision I've ever made.
Since then I have been growing in my faith and keeping people around me who reflect Him. And all this crazy moving-across-the-country thing has really helped in the growing-of-faith aspect.
Anyways, I've been wanting to be baptized for years now. I thought I wanted to be baptized at the church that I became a Christian at...but God has different plans.
Since moving back to Minnesota we've been going to an amazing church. I've tried really really hard to fit in with the other youth and getting all of them--the youth pastors included--to like me. I know now I shouldn't have hurt myself trying, but at the time it seemed important.
Interestingly enough, a lot of the people from our church in Arizona and our church here are from San Diego...I guess that's why it seemed so fitting for us to be going to this church.
This church has been praying for us through all our hard times living here in Minnesota. And a few weeks ago they announced that they will be doing baptisms--two weeks before we move.
My mom and I got talking and we decided that her and I should be baptized here with this church and the people who've been praying for us. How fitting, right!?
So last week there was a meeting for those of us getting baptized. They told us we will be asked, "Why do you want to be baptized?"
Then it hit me. Why do I want to be baptized? What's the purpose of baptism anyways?
I've been praying that God would reveal this answer to me. These are the verses I found helpful:

What are you waiting for? Get up and be baptized. Have your sins washed away by calling on the name of the Lord.’ Acts 22:16

So he gave orders for them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Acts 10:48

And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes. Galatians 3:27

And that water is a picture of baptism, which now saves you, not by removing dirt from your body, but as a response to God from a clean conscience. It is effective because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 3:21

Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth.  Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20

Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. Matthew 3:15

Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives. Romans 6:1-4

Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

So, to answer the first question: I want to be baptized because "Jesus [said]...it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Matthew 3:15. Because Jesus was baptized and I want to be like Jesus. Because it was said, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Acts 2:38. Because I want to be "...united with Christ in baptism..." and to "...put on Christ, like putting on new clothes." Galatians 3:27

I officially accepted the Lord into my heart when I was twelve-years-old. Since then I've wanted to be baptized. In Galatians 3:27 it says, "And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes." I'm ready

I officially accepted the Lord into my heart when I was twelve-years-old. Since then I have wanted to be baptized. In Romans 6:2-4 it says, "Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives." I'm ready.


No comments: