Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Week Two of School — The Time When COVID-19 Hit us Hard

 August 17, 2020 was the first day of school. Classes didn’t technically start until the 19th, but opening rally and praying for the nations were on our list of priorities. Classes were great, chapel was great, and everything was right in the world.

Third year is so much different than the first two years. It’s when you have more requirements on you like practicum, third year project, and a mountain-load more books to read. The thing about my school is that there are only three years. So third year comes and it hits hard. I wasn’t worried…at first.

On Thursday of that week we discussed third year project. We were told to get into teams of five and so we did. We were tasked with the challenge of picking a project together — getting us all to agree on one thing was a challenge indeed. Finally, my idea won. You can imagine the joy I had when we chose my coffee shop idea. If you know me at all, you know I love coffee and I have always wanted to start a coffee shop ministry.

In one of my classes, ‘Life Management and Development’, we talked about goals. Did you know that only 3% of humanity actually set goals? That leaves the rest of the 97% of humanity that work for that 3%. Crazy, isn’t it?

In ‘Preteen Ministry’, I learned that I am a part of Gen Z when this whole time I thought I was a Millennial. I still have a hard time believing that, but he insists that the people who decide the cutoffs for each generation all agreed I am Gen Z. Which is fine because they haven’t developed a super bad rap like Millennials yet, so I guess I have hope again.

Overall, I was given 7 books to read this semester, not counting the one for voice lessons which I will be reading for the third time. It’s a small book though and I am only required to skim through it. I learned that this semester ends in November instead of December, so it makes me nervous I won’t be able to finish them all in time but I know it will all work together in the end.

The first week of school went great. However, Sunday, August 23rd we were told classes on Monday were cancelled for a staff meeting. Tuesday was cancelled too and they gave a disturbing announcement. Many people on campus tested positive for coronavirus and classes were switched to online for two weeks. At the end of two weeks they will decide if the rest of the semester will be online or in-person (I am praying for in-person classes!).

In the midst of all this, I got sick. The same Monday as the staff meeting, I started to have flu-like symptoms. I still have a hard time believing I tested positive for coronavirus, yet here I am with no sense of taste or smell. It started with a sore throat, as most illnesses do for me. I had a headache that morning and a sore throat which progressed to an earache and congestion issues. Last February I thought I had coronavirus, I had a fever every day along with a sore throat and congestion. I felt like I was going to die. This? This has nothing on that. I feel fine and I am already on the road to recovery. I can’t wait to be able to taste food again, I think for me that has been the scariest part of having coronavirus. A small part of me fears it will be gone forever, but I was told by others who have previously gone through this that it comes back around day 9–10. I am still days from that, but at least I have hope.

Week two of school, though online, was great too. I enjoyed my classes, though I suddenly feel behind on everything. I have a school bill payment coming up but I haven’t been able to work, so there is that. I haven’t started reading any of my books since I have been experiencing a lot of fatigue and it’s hard to keep my eyes open long for anything. I have assignments that are on hold for similar reasons, and stress is officially starting to set in. I am currently praying it away, but it still tends to sneak in by surprise.

This semester, though off to a rough start for everyone here (there are countless others on campus who also tested positive for coronavirus), is going to be a great one. No one knows what is in store for the next few months, but we all agree it holds great blessing and miracles. We can feel it in the air, it’s all around us. God has something for us here, we feel it and are ready to receive it.

No comments: