Monday, November 7, 2016

I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible. 1 Corinthians 7:35
Lately I have had a lot of distractions. Between NaNoWriMo and this really cool guy I've been communicating with via text, I've had little to no time with God. As much as I hate to admit it, these things have consumed all of my thoughts. Not only do I have little time for my God, but also for school, for family, and for anything else that should be at the top of my priority list. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a big problem.
I realize this and so I go to my God and ask for forgiveness. I also open my Bible and the story of when Jesus walked on water stood out to me. I am a lot like Peter. In my walk with Jesus, I got distracted by the winds and the waves, and now I am sinking.
"Yes, come," Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wing and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. "Save me, Lord!" He shouted. Matthew 14:29-30
So now I cry out, "Save me, Lord!" and He comes to my rescue.
I want to serve the Lord as best that I can, which means that I need to get rid of these distractions. I'm not saying I'm not going to do NaNo and I'm not saying that I will totally shut this guy out of my life. Nor will I quit going to youth group and hanging out with my friends (another distraction in my life right now). I need to focus on my priorities. If my friends plan a hang-out day but I haven't done my devotions for the day yet, should I be going to the hang-out? No. I should be spending that time with God. That is what will help me to serve the Lord best. To put Him at the top of my priorities and not anything else. To fix my eyes on Him and not get distracted by all the noise. I need this and so I pray that God will give me the strength to stay strong and not waver.
Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Proverbs 4:25

Luke 10:38-42New Living Translation (NLT)

Jesus Visits Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”
41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

No comments: