Saturday, July 23, 2016

Translation Comparison

I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from the mountains? No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains. Psalm 121:1-2 (MSG)

This is how the group, for King and Country, begin their song, Shoulders. One thing I've noticed about this group is that they like The Message Bible translation, using it in several of their songs. Mom says she doesn't like that translation as much because it is paraphrased rather than word-for-word:
I agree.
Though I like seeing it side by side with other translations. And sometimes I like this one more. Like now, for instance.
Psalm 121:1-2 MSG brings me comfort as apposed to it in another translation:
I lift up my eyes to the mountains-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2 (NIV)
And maybe its just how Joel says it in the song with the music in the background that makes it so touching--but I don't really know.
The translation that my family most often uses is the New International Version, but lately I have been reading from New Living Translation.

No comments: