Prep time: 20 min. Cook time: 25 min. Total time: 45 min. Servings: 8
- 1 lb ground beef (or 2 cups shredded cooked chicken)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package lawry's taco seasoning (or homemade)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or taco blend)
- 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- sour cream
1. Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat until browned, about 8-10 minutes (drain any excess fat).
2. Add the chopped green chilies, seasoning mix, shredded cheese and water; mix thoroughly. Remove from heat.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Unroll crescent dough onto a work surface and sprinkle with the crushed tortilla chips; press down gently. Separate into about 16 triangles.
5. Arrange triangles chip side down in a circle on a 12 or 13-inch round pizza pan (or baking stone), with wide ends overlapping in center and points toward the outside. (The open circle in the middle should be 5" diameter).
6. Lightly press wide ends together to form a smooth wide base for the filling.
7. Spoon meat filling evenly over wide ends of triangles. Bring points of triangles up over filling and tuck under wide ends of dough at center of ring. The filling will be visible.
8. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
9. To Garnish:
10. Mix together the salsa with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a teaspoon of chopped cilantro. Scoop out the bell pepper and fill with salsa mixture. Place into center of ring.
11. Arrange the lettuce, tomato, onion and sliced olives around the pepper centerpiece. Garnish with sour cream.
12. To serve, cut into slices and serve with desired garnishes. Enjoy!